March 6th Letter

Dear Family,

Hope this finds you all well and planning your vacations to San Diego (yuk). We have had a good week but busy. We are now able to drive to and from the MBHS without GPS and even to the temple. We have actually branched out even more than that, but I feel better with the GPS close. Mom on the other hand is recalling her teenage years and is fearless in exploring new territories.

We are feeling more settled all of the time. Mom has spent quite a bit of time “feathering our nest” which brings her peace of mind and I certainly don’t mind.

Our schedule was pretty much the same this week as last week. Our two hour shift at the temple was an experience. Here is my journal entry: “Well this week the weather was atrocious. It rained most of the time we were there and the wind blew hard. Several of the small trees at the temple were blown over. The area needs the rain so no complaints but it was a first day we won't forget. My new raincoat and my black hat really got a workout. I even used my umbrella some but the wind negated its helpfulness. Mom enjoyed the dryness and warmth of the car. She spent her time learning her MBHS dialogue.”

We got to see Erin Pratt this week when she came to MBHS. It was so fun to see her and hear of what her plans are. We hope to get with she and Nathan when we can. I also heard from my two law partners, Dee Bradford and Jim Brady. They each called wondering when our “farewell” was going to be. Dee and Susan will go on a mission around September. And Ric, Jim is very grateful for his “sleeve.” He has lost 80+ pounds.

Saturday was my 68th birthday. Thanks to all of you for remembering. He had shift in the morning and then went out to lunch and then in the evening I blew birthday candles out on two yummy cupcakes that Mom had purchased. My request for a birthday present was for some bathroom scales which I got. (Kind of a sick request isn’t it.) I am trying to get them regulated because so far they weigh way too heavy <g>. I didn’t tell anyone that it was my birthday but when the mission newsletter came out there was the information so the sisters got after me a little. They felt bad they didn’t get to share it with us so one of them (Sis Lehmitz) made a chocolate cake and Mom provide the frosting and all those serving at the MBHS that day got a piece of the cake.

We were happy to join in the fasting for all the family members that needed the extra boost. Thanks for asking us.

Part of Jorgen’s email on Monday was pretty poignant as he reflected on the death of a fellow Swedish missionary. We never really know where our life’s mission will take us. Glad he shared his thoughts with us.

The first Monday evening of each month all of the senior couples get together for Family Home Evening so this last Monday was our first time to experience that. We enjoyed meeting the other couples. There are over 20 couples here covering a wide range of needs, MLS, CES, Military, Medical and of course MBHS. Many are on their “more than 1” mission.

I spent Tuesday pretty sick. It started on Monday night and carried through the next day. After that I was okay, weak, but well enough to move forward.

We are getting close to the time of the charity golf tournament so I have been involved in numerous meetings and writing a ton of emails. Obviously, I am enjoying it but the pace of life should slow a little after the tournament. I am looking forward to Matt, Uncle Ward, and Forest coming to play with me in it.

We went to the temple this morning. It is really a unique temple and I get lost in it every time with all of it angles, etc but it was enjoyable to be there with Jamie. I spent most of the afternoon on golf stuff and Mom went to do more exploring.

As a public service, we are trying to hit most of the Mexican restaurants on the Old Town area so that we can make the appropriate recommendations when you come. We still have a few to cover. Eden, I know when you brought Abby, Paige, Cacia, and Karsten that you went to one place that you all raved about how good the burritos (I think) were. As I remember Cassie also thought it was terrific. What was the name of the place and where was it?

We love you all and pray each morning and night for your health, safety and growth. This is a true work we are involved in and we are grateful for the opportunity to be involved.


Love, Mom and Dad

Comments

Popular Posts